IPW 2017 Conference Information
Everything in the city centre really is walking distance, which should make your stay very easy and allow you plenty of time to enjoy the place. Do check out the Tourist Board's site, which gives all the info on what's to see: http://www.larochelle-tourisme.com/.
Pynchon's New Worlds is organised by Bénédicte Chorier-Fryd (Université de Poitiers) and Gilles Chamerois (Université de Bretagne Occidentale de Brest).
You can contact Bénédicte and Gilles through larochelle [at] internationalpychonweek2017 [dot] org.
Conference Venues in La Rochelle
- Médiathèque Michel-Crépeau: Avenue Michel-Crépeau (site)
- Musée du Nouveau Monde: 10 Rue Fleuriau (site)
Hotels in the old town of La Rochelle
The hotels listed below are all located in the old town of La Rochelle, and within walking distance from the conference venues.
- ** Axe Hôtel (5 Rue de La Fabrique, 17000 La Rochelle). Email: email@example.com; phone +33 546 414 068. Price Range: 68€ to 98€ for a double room.
- *** Hotel François 1er, 15, rue Bazoges, 17000 La Rochelle. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; phone: +33 546 412 846. Price Range: 85€ to 95€.
- *** L’hôtel Atlantic à la Rochelle, 23 rue verdière 17000 La Rochelle. Email: email@example.com; phone: +33 546 411 668. Price Range: 90€ to 105€.
- *** Hotel Saint-Nicolas, 13 rue Sardinerie / Place de la Solette, 17000 La Rochelle. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; phone: +33 546 417 155. Price: 130€.
Getting to La Rochelle by train
Detailed information on train schedules from and to Paris (Gare Montparnasse) - La Rochelle, Roissy - La Rochelle and Charles de Gaulle - La Rochelle, as well as a document with train schedules from and to Bordeaux is available for download on the documents page.
From Paris/Charles-deGaulle airport: do not take a train to Paris (gare du Nord) as you would have to cross the city to change stations and reach Gare Montparnasse, which is where West-bound trains leave from. Instead, take a train from Charles-de-Gaulle to La Rochelle via Poitiers, which is very easy as you change trains in the same station.
From Paris proper, just take a straight train to La Rochelle from Gare Montparnasse.
Getting back to Paris from La Rochelle
The last train leaves La Rochelle around 7:00pm; we will be hosted by the city public library (Médiathèque Michel-Crépeau) on Thursday and Friday. If you are planning to leave La Rochelle on Thursday or Friday, you will be able to leave your luggage at the library in the morning as you arrive from your hotel, and leave straight from there to catch your train, as it is just a fifteen minute leisurely walk to the train station.
Bordeaux International Airport
From Europe, you can come to La Rochelle via Bordeaux, which offers a range of international flights (site) . A shuttle will take you straight to the central train station in Bordeaux (30') - check site and it's only a couple of hours to La Rochelle on the train (see schedules).